We can never expect a dull moment this year. From the Microsoft buying GitHub to more data breaches, check out some good content in our round up! If you enjoy this collection of the web’s top articles, feel free to follow us over on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ for the same great content the rest of the year.
Open Source and Linux
- Meet The Linux Desktop That’s More Beautiful Than Windows 10 And MacOS
“Deepin is also a standalone desktop environment, meaning it’s possible to install it as your default “look and feel” on a wide range of distributions.”
- Warning! Unprivileged Linux Users With UID > INT_MAX Can Execute Any Command
The issue, tracked as CVE-2018-19788, impacts PolicyKit version 0.115 which comes pre-installed on most popular Linux distributions.
- MS-Linux? Lindows? Could Microsoft release a desktop Linux?
Why not give Linux, which dominates all other computing markets, a try?
- Linux will seem to be everywhere in 2019
“Most people today are using Linux without ever knowing it.” Find out where you’ll see it.
- How to Clone a Partition or Hard drive in Linux
A review of Linux disk cloning with tool called dd.
- How to Configure and Maintain High Availability/Clustering in Linux
They will demonstrate the basics of how to deploy, configure and maintain high availability/clustering in Ubuntu.
Design & Development
- MySQL Tutorial: How to Improve Performance
In this, you can learn about performance tuning MySQL.
- Advance Login System in C# and MySQL Database
How to create an Advance Login System in C# and MySQL database.
- How to install the Monica Personal Information Management Cloud on Ubuntu 18.04
“The installation is a bit tricky, so be prepared to do a bit of work.” Get ready to learn.
- 7 Things to Know Before Updating to WordPress 5
Learn the seven considerations before updating WordPress.
- The web design trends brands need to prepare for in 2019
What do brands need to bear in mind in 2019 to ensure that they continue to deliver relevant standout online design, and therefore sales?
- We Broke Into A Bunch Of Android Phones With A 3D-Printed Head
“We tested four of the hottest handsets running Google’s operating systems and Apple’s iPhone to see how easy it’d be to break into them.”
- Facebook exposed up to 6.8 million users’ private photos to developers in latest leak
The exposure occurred between September 12th and September 25th.
- US ballistic missile systems have very poor cyber-security
DOD IG officials inspected five random locations where the Missile Defense Agency had placed ballistic missiles part of the Ballistic Missile Defense System.
- Critical SQLite Flaw Leaves Millions of Apps Vulnerable to Hackers
SQLite is a lightweight, widely used disk-based relational database management system that requires minimal support from operating systems or external libraries.
- WordPress 5.0.1 Security Release
WordPress versions 5.0 and earlier are affected by the following bugs.
Interesting Technology Posts
- Russia’s High-Tech AI Robot Turns Out To Be Human In Robot Costume
“Boris was shown on stage with co-hosts using dance moves so realistic that your dad would proudly use them at a wedding.”
- Billionaire Richard Branson: The 9-to-5 workday and 5-day work week will die off
“The idea of working five days a week with two day weekends and a few weeks of holiday each year has become ingrained in society.”
- Word processor pioneer Evelyn Berezin dies aged 93
She built one of the original computerised airline reservation systems.
- Apple to Add $1 Billion Campus in Austin, Tex., in Broad U.S. Hiring Push
“Apple is proud to bring new investment, jobs and opportunity to cities across the United States and to significantly deepen our quarter-century partnership with the city and people of Austin.” -Tim Cook