We can never expect a dull moment this year. From the Microsoft buying GitHub to more data breaches, check out some good content in our round up! If you enjoy this collection of the web’s top articles, feel free to follow us over on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ for the same great content the rest of the year.
Open Source and Linux
- If Software Is Funded from a Public Source, Its Code Should Be Open Source
There are special dynamics at play and lots of good reasons to require open-source software.
- Kali Linux 2019.1 Released — Operating System For Hackers
Offensive Security has just released Kali Linux 2019.1, the first 2019 version of its Swiss army knife for cybersecurity professionals.
- RunC Flaw Lets Attackers Escape Linux Containers to Gain Root on Hosts
A serious security vulnerability has been discovered in the core runC container code that affects several open-source container management systems.
- Linux gaming is on a life-support system called Steam
Linux offered a chance for all players and developers to shape the marketplace.
- Windows 10 Will Soon Allow You To Access Your Linux Files
Now you can easily access all the files in your Linux distros from Windows.
- B0r0nt0K Ransomware Wants $75,000 Ransom, Infects Linux Servers
“This encrypted web site was running on Ubuntu 16.04 and had all of its files encrypted, renamed, and had the .rontok extension appended to them.”
Design & Development
- How to create tables and add data to MySQL database with MySQL Workbench
Go through the process of creating a database, adding a table to that database, and then adding data to the table.
- Working with MySQL JSON Columns in Laravel: Custom Properties Example
JSON fields are gaining more popularity since they became officially supported in MySQL 5.7.8.
- Import and Export CSV File using PHP and MySQL
The Import functionality allows the user to upload and insert multiple data in the database.
- A Quick Primer on Managing Your Web-Development Tasks
Here are ways you can reduce costs and the amount of time that designer or coder spends on your project.
- Python Survey: Data Analysis Overtakes Web Development as No. 1 Use Case
“A new developer survey about Python reveals the programming language is now used primarily for data analysis, supplanting the previous No. 1 use case, Web development.”
- Chinese company leaves Muslim-tracking facial recognition database exposed online
“One of the facial recognition databases that the Chinese government is using to track the Uyghur Muslim population in the Xinjiang region has been left open on the internet for months.”
- Microsoft security chief: IE is not a browser, so stop using it as your default
“I’m not here to enforce any browser on anyone. Windows gives you a choice in your browser, and you should choose the one that best meets your needs.”
- Once hailed as unhackable, blockchains are now getting hacked
An attacker had somehow gained control of more than half of the network’s computing power and was using it to rewrite the transaction history.
- The great Equifax mystery: 17 months later, the stolen data has never been found, and experts are starting to suspect a spy scheme
The prevailing theory today is that the data was stolen by a nation-state for spying purposes, not by criminals looking to cash in on stolen identities.
- Digital exchange loses $137 million as founder takes passwords to the grave
A cryptocurrency exchange in Canada has lost control of at least $137 million of its customers’ assets following the sudden death of its founder.
Interesting Technology Posts
- Facebook is thinking about removing anti-vaccination content as backlash intensifies over the spread of misinformation on the social network
Facebook said it is “thinking through what the right approach for this effort might look like” in a statement to Business Insider.
- NASA’s Mars Rover Opportunity Is Officially Declared Dead
“Our beloved Opportunity remained silent.”
- Major DNA Testing Company Sharing Genetic Data With the FBI
“The decision by a prominent consumer DNA-testing company to share data with federal law enforcement means investigators have access to genetic information linked to hundreds of millions of people.”
- Reddit users are the least valuable of any social network
Reddit’s value per user is much lower than that of other social networks including Facebook, Snap, Twitter and Pinterest.